After a year and a half, we have finally released Mono 3.0.
Like I discussed last year, we will be moving to a more nimble release process with Mono 3.0. We are trying to reduce our inventory of pending work and get new features to everyone faster. This means that our "master" branch will remain stable from now on, and that large projects will instead be developed in branches that are regularly landed into our master branch.
What is new
Check our release notes for the full details of this release. But here are some tasty bits:
- C# Async compiler
- Unified C# compiler for all profiles
- 4.5 Async API Profile
- Integrated new Microsoft's Open Sourced stacks:
- ASP.NET MVC 4
- ASP.NET WebPages
- Entity Framework
- System.Json (replaces our own)
- New High performance Garbage Collector (SGen - with many performance and scalability improvements)
- Metric ton of runtime and class library improvements.
Also, expect F# 3.0 to be bundled in our OSX distribution.