Some great announcements today from the Microsoft world.
#1 Open Source ASP.NET stack
The first one is that
generation web stack (ASP.NET vNext) is open source from
the ground up, and runs on Mono on both Linux and Mac.
There are plenty of other design principles in this new
version of ASP.NET. I provide a translation from Microsoft
speak into Unix speak in parenthesis:
- Cloud-ready out of the box (this is code name for
"can run with different versions of .NET side by side").
- A single programming model for Web sites and services
- Low-latency developer experience (Refresh on
- Make high-performance and high-productivity APIs
and patterns available - enable them both to be used
and compose together within a single app.
- Fine-grained control available via command-line
tools and standard file formats.
- Delivered via NuGet (package manager, similar to
Node's NPM or Ruby Gems).
- Release as open source via the .NET Foundation.
- Can run on Mono, on Mac and Linux.
Update: And the software is live at http://github.com/aspnet
Client Libraries to Microsoft Services
They are shipping a number of new components to talk to
their online services, and they all have a license suitable
for being used from platforms other than Windows.